Friday, March 19, 2010
Macaroni Chicken Soup or popularly known as Sopas, came from the Hispanic word “sopa”, meaning soup. This is a soup dish that we Filipinos have come to own eventhough macaroni is practically Italian.
Estimated preparation and cooking time: 1 hour and 30 minutes
Macaroni Chicken Soup Ingredients:
* 500 g chicken breast
* 4 cloves garlic (minced)
* 2 white onions (minced)
* 1 large bell pepper (seeded and sliced into strips)
* freshly ground black pepper
* 2 carrots (sliced into thin strips)
* 350 g macaroni noodles
* 2 cups evaporated milk
* 1 medium cabbage (roughly shredded)
* 2 Tbsp margarine
* fish sauce / patis
* rock salt
* chopped spring onions
Creamy Macaroni Chicken Soup Cooking Instructions
* Boil the chicken in 4 cups water. Save the broth to be used later.
* Shred the Chicken meat with your fingers. Set aside.
* Saute garlic and onion in oil over medium heat.
* Add the bell pepper and cook until aromatic.
* Stir in the shredded chicken.
* Season lightly with ground black pepper.
* Add the carrots, a quick sauté then the macaroni. Give it a stir to get the fat all around the pasta.
* Pour in the chicken broth and 5 cups water. Simmer.
* Pour in the milk, stirring gently.
* Add the cabbage. From this point, the macaroni and the cabbage will cook at about the same time.
* Add the margarine.
* Season with patis or salt.