Friday, March 19, 2010
Macaroni Chicken Soup or popularly known as Sopas, came from the Hispanic word “sopa”, meaning soup. This is a soup dish that we Filipinos have come to own eventhough macaroni is practically Italian.
Estimated preparation and cooking time: 1 hour and 30 minutes
Macaroni Chicken Soup Ingredients:
* 500 g chicken breast
* 4 cloves garlic (minced)
* 2 white onions (minced)
* 1 large bell pepper (seeded and sliced into strips)
* freshly ground black pepper
* 2 carrots (sliced into thin strips)
* 350 g macaroni noodles
* 2 cups evaporated milk
* 1 medium cabbage (roughly shredded)
* 2 Tbsp margarine
* fish sauce / patis
* rock salt
* chopped spring onions
Creamy Macaroni Chicken Soup Cooking Instructions
* Boil the chicken in 4 cups water. Save the broth to be used later.
* Shred the Chicken meat with your fingers. Set aside.
* Saute garlic and onion in oil over medium heat.
* Add the bell pepper and cook until aromatic.
* Stir in the shredded chicken.
* Season lightly with ground black pepper.
* Add the carrots, a quick sauté then the macaroni. Give it a stir to get the fat all around the pasta.
* Pour in the chicken broth and 5 cups water. Simmer.
* Pour in the milk, stirring gently.
* Add the cabbage. From this point, the macaroni and the cabbage will cook at about the same time.
* Add the margarine.
* Season with patis or salt.
Homemade Asian Barbecue Sauce and Marinade - So Good You'll Swear it's Artificially Flavored!
2 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tbsp sambal, or other hot chili sauce
1/2 orange, juiced
1 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp fish sauce (or sub extra soy)
2 cloves mashed garlic
*Makes enough for about 2 pounds meat
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup white granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups mashed banana (usually 3 bananas is perfect)
1 cup chopped walnuts
2 tablespoons milk
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
Whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda in a mixing bowl for a minute; reserve until needed.
Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, mixing thoroughly before adding the next. Mix in the bananas, walnuts, and milk until combined. Add the flour mixture, stirring just until combined.
Pour batter into a buttered and lightly floured 9 x 5 inch loaf pan. Bake for about 1 hour and 10 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool 20 minutes before removing from the pan.